KevstaarDesign: International Interview: 'DBG'

International Interview: 'DBG'

KevstaarDesign Blog

International Interview with 'DBG'

It all started a bit ago when I connected to 'DBG' threw DJ Ames a dj who I have worked with since near the start of my design career. First time I spoke to 'DBG' properly was when he asked me to do his mixtape artwork for 'DBG - Ill Money'. Then a few days back when I started by blog I said to 'DBG' that I was thinking of doing some international interviews with artist and he said he was down for doing a interview for me, and he also put me in touch with his homie PyRexx for a interview so also watch out for his interview as well.


Q: So for the people that don't know you who is 'DBG'?
A: I'm an artist from the United States. I represent Texas, a little town called Crockett. About 2 hours from Houston. I've been doing music since 1999, I probably started taking it serious around 2002, 2003. I guess when I felt like I could make a move with it. I probably started like most Texas artists, just freestyling,spitting bars, and battling. I dabbled in production for a while, but my hearts just always been into whatever I touch, just making it timeless. The name DBG came from me being me. When I would flow (freestyle) people would be like, "Dat boy G be killin! " that and a chance meeting with HAWK from the SUC and him telling people in my camp that I was gonna be great. I felt like for an H Town legend who motivated me musically to define me I had to pay homage. There you have DBG, Defined By Greatness. Because HAWK was that influential to me. RIP to John Hawkins aka HAWK.

Q: When and where did it all start for you?
A: I think it just started at home like anything else. Wanting to change life and circumstances. Change you chance and give yourself better odds. Where I'm from its a struggle everyday. And you don't make it out. This is Struggletown Texas. You either grind here or you get stuck in the matrix. Its like that bubble or Silent Hill, people dead and they just don't know it yet.

Q: So, What are your thoughts/feeling about the current state of the music scene?
A: Honestly I don't like the fact that everybody sounds the same. Lyricism is trying to make a comeback, I'm impatient though. LOL. I mean it's alright right now. Just don't hear individuals as much. I hear conforming from artists that don't have their own voice or uniqueness about themselves.

Q: How do you separate yourself from other artist?
A: I stick to my guns and be me. When you hear a DBG song or verse, you know it's gonna be lyrical, it's gonna be unique, it's gonna surprise you and you definitely wanna hit that rewind button.

Q: Who influenced you as a artist?
A: Master P, Jay Z, DMX, The LOX, HAWK, Nas, Scarface, Biggie, Tupac, Big Pokey, some of the local artists I grew up around, like Sir Coop (Freestyle Kingz).

Q: Have you heard any UK rappers that you would like a international collaboration with?
A: There are a few. The UK is really starting to grow in the US so I'm open to all I get to hear. Kid Pest is a beast and he's family. We've made some bangers together. But yeah. I'm open to it all from across the pond.

Q: Who would you like to work with in the future?
A: Anybody that wants to be remembered. But in particular, Nas, Common, Alley Boy, Jae Millz, Scarface. I want that crossover too so probably some R&B artists and Rock artists too.

What is TBZ?
A: That's the team! ThoroughBreadz! Shout out to Pyrexx! ThoroughBreadz Entertainment. Pyrexx started the team and created this movement of that pure you know, that essence of realness that everyone, not just the streets that can value. I'm one of the new jacks in the camp so I'm kinda reborn, earning my stripes. Artists on the label though, PyRexx, Mike D, young JC, and some other prospects Rexx considering.

Q: Where can people find your stuff?
A: Mayne I'm all over. YouTube, Dat Piff, Twitter, (Links Below)

Q: Have you got anything new in the pipeline/coming out?
A: Yeah I've got a few projects. Ill Money with Million Monkey Clothing. DJ NakedWeapon and the New Breed, I'm on there. We got the ThoroughBreadz Compilation. Its gonna be crazy. Its gonna be a hot summer and a crazy winter for real

Q: Have you got any giggs/performances coming up?
A: Yeah. There are a couple of shows. We constantly doing shows in the ThoroughBreadz camp and supporting each other shows. Definitely lord willing get a tour popping or touring overseas soon.

Q: Have you got anything you would like to say or anyone you would like to shout out?
A: Shout Out to Kevstaar Design most definitely. My ThoroughBreadz family, PyRexx the head honcho for the opportunity to shine. Dicky Wang. That's the homie. And anybody that wants the chance to grow in life. Keep pushing hard work pays off.


Connect with 'PyRexx'
Official Twitter
Official Youtube
BlackBerry Messenger: 2AB66454
Email: Thisisdbg@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © KevstaarDesign Urang-kurai